Call for Papers — Satellite Meetings
Division V. (Regions) joint with Management of Library Associations Section and LIS Education in Developing Countries Special Interest Group
- 10 February 2019, 21:47
Theme: "Leadership roles in international librarianship: how can information professionals from Africa, Asia & Oceania, Latin America & Caribbean be part of it?"
Deadline for Proposals extended to 22 March
20-21 August 2019
Bibliotheca Alexandria, Alexandria, Egypt
Satellite Meeting focus
The IFLA Division V. (Regions) which includes regional sections of Africa – Asia & Oceania – Latin America & Caribbean jointly organizing this satellite meeting as a pre-conference of 85th World Library and Information Congress, in the beautiful and historical Bibliotheca Alexandria, Alexandria, Egypt on August 20-21, 2019.
This satellite aims to get input and new ideas to increase the participation of professionals from the Division V regions in all IFLA Sections Standing Committees and others strategic functions. Its purpose is to discuss and understand the presence, participation, contribution and impact of the Africa – Asia & Oceania – Latin America & Caribbean professionals in the Information and Library Science field at the international level. More precisely, to understand, measure and analyse the environment of the participation of professionals from this region in the strategic positions in the national, regional and international associations to make sure that the culture, vision, characteristics, and needs from those regions will be better understood and considered in all decision making levels/process.
It will be open for any professional with the interest to participate in the discussion about leadership roles in international librarianship in Africa, Asia & Oceania, Latin America & Caribbean. So, we welcome research papers, case studies, experiences and papers with innovative and practical perspectives on current and forward looking on the role of libraries and librarians at international level.
Possible Topics for Proposals
– Leadership roles in international librarianship in Africa, Asia & Oceania, Latin America & Caribbean.
– Advocacy and leadership in Africa – Asia & Oceania – Latin America & Caribbean
– Entrepreneurship for international leadership
– Library and Information Science in developing countries
– Social, economic and political advocacy in the LIS field in Africa – Asia & Oceania – Latin America & Caribbean
– International curricula for LIS professionals in Africa – Asia & Oceania – Latin America & Caribbean
– LIS curriculum and national and international associative participation
– Specifics skills to focus on associative movements in Africa – Asia & Oceania – Latin America & Caribbean
– Social, economic and political advocacy for an active participation at international associations of LIS professionals
– International exchange of good practices of Library Associations from Africa, Asia & Oceania and Latin America & Caribbean
– National libraries associations and international participation
– IFLA structure and the opportunities for Division V members
– IFLA WLIC and participation of Division V members
– Perception of Division V professionals about their participation at IFLA
How to submit a proposal
Interested persons are invited to submit a proposals for a paper and presentation on any of the topics listed above, as well as poster presentations. The proposal/presentation/poster must be in English. The initial proposal should be not more than 500 words long (1 page), be submitted in electronic format, and be accompanied by a brief bio of the author(s), 150 words maximum. Paper length will be between 10 to 15 pages, and posters standard size will be 24″ x 36″ (60 X 90 cm).
Proposals should be submitted electronically no later than
01 March 2019 the extended deadline of 22 March 2019 and indicate “DIVISION V. Satellite Proposal” in the subject line to:
Sanjay Bihani, Secretary of the Division V.
with a copy to:
Sueli Mara Soares Pinto Ferreira, Chair of Division V.
First phase includes evaluation of abstracts, and Second Phase includes evaluation of full papers and power points presentations. The evaluation will be based on content quality: pertinence, theoretical base, methodology, best practice, originality, etc.
22 March 2019: Deadline to submit proposals (an abstract up to 500 words)
5 April 2019: Notification of abstract acceptance
01 May 2019: Deadline for authors to submit the full paper
15 May 2019: Notification of paper acceptance and recommendations
15 June 2019: Final paper submission at IFLA plataform
31 July 2019: Final Power Point submission
20-21 August 2019: Satellite Meeting
Authors will have 20 minutes for their presentation.
The Satellite Conference is free of charge, but registration is still required. It is possible that lunch and refreshments on the day of the Satellite Conference will be provided.
Authors of accepted papers must complete the IFLA Authors’ Permission Form.
All expenses for attending the satellite meeting (eg. travel, accommodation, etc.) are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation letter can be issued to author(s)/presenter(s) of accepted papers and also to get the Egyptian VISA.
Program Chair: Sueli Mara Soares Pinto Ferreira (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Co-Chair: Marwa El Sahn (email@example.com)
Congress Participation Grants
List of opportunities for support is available on the Conference Participation Grants webpage.