Local Library Visit 9: Hellenic Broadcsasting Corporation [ERT SA] Archive
Type of library: archives
Postal address: 432, Messogion Ave., Agia Paraskevi, 15342 Athens, Greece
Distance from Congress venue: 7.0 km
Meeting point: Nomismatokopio Metro Station
Optimal route: From Syntagma Metro station (Μ3 Agia Marina – Doukisis Plakentias – Airport) – stop: Nomismatokopeio Metro Station (8 stops), then either: 1. Bus stop: Aphetēria (Bus 308) to ERT (7 stops), walk 4 minutes (40 minutes in total)
2. Bus stop: Nomismatokopeio (Bus A5) to ERT (7 stops), walk 4 minutes (40 minutes in total)
The Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation [ERT SA] Archive manages more than 1,000,000 items documenting the most important historical, social and cultural events in Greece from the beginning of the 20th century until the present day.
The ERT Archive includes:
- Television program archives (documentary, theater, fiction series, informative programs, music and children’s programs as well as sports broadcasts from the 1960s)
- Newsreels and audio-visual news material (news reports since the 1960s, 1940-1990 newsreel films, archival footage since 1910)
- Radio recordings since the early 1950s
- Photographic archives covering the entire 20th century
- Document Archive on the history of the Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation (1939 to present) & the collection of the “Radio Program” (1939-1967) and “Radio Television” (1967-2013) magazines
- A music library (scores of musical works since the late 19th century)
- A library of scientific and varied content
- A collection of equipment & objects exhibiting the development of radio & television technology
A wealth of items related to various topics, can be found in the archival material of ERT.
ERT aims to safeguard, preserve and disseminate to the society its valuable archives, which form an integral part of the Greek history and cultural heritage.
The ERT Digital Archive is enriched every day and is accessible at the web address http://archive.ert.gr/