Call for Papers — Open Sessions
Library Publishing Special Interest Group
- 26 February 2019, 18:20
Theme: "Libraries: dialogue for change – how library publishing can act as a dialogue for change"
The Library Publishing Special Interest Group (SIG) has recently been established and is holding its FIRST one-hour Open Session at the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Athens, Greece, from August 24-30, 2019.
Library Publishing, in an increasing number of mostly electronic forms and formats, has been on the rise over this decade. Buzz and excitement surround a growing assumption that publishing is in some way and to some extent a critical function for the library of the future. Much – though not all – of this activity is driven by a desire to advance open access, as well as to meet local needs related to the creation and dissemination of scholarship.
Within the theme, possible topics may include:
– How and why should libraries get involved?
– Case studies that demonstrate the success and challenges of libraries in publishing
– Should libraries act as formal publishers or should they focus on informal hosting and support (for example, via institutional repositories or offering advice on where to publish)?
– Will library publishing continue to grow and be sustainable? What resources will be required?
– What are the ethical and legal implications of libraries taking an active role in publishing activities
Format of presentations
As this is the first Open Session for the SIG we want it to enjoyable, stimulating and memorable!
Presentations are to be no longer than 6 – 8 minutes each and can be in the style of a TED talk, Storyboard, short presentation (no more than 5 slides) or a 3MT (3-minute thesis – 1 slide only).
Proposal abstracts must be submitted by 29 March 2019, must be in English, and should clearly include:
– Title of proposed presentation
– Abstract of proposed presentation (no more than 250 words)
– Format of proposed presentation
– Name(s) of presenter(s) and position(s) and/or title(s)
– Employer(s) / affiliated institution(s) of presenter(s)
– Contact information including email address(es) and telephone number(s)
– Short biographical statement(s) of presenter(s)
Abstracts must be submitted as an MS Word attachment to:
Heather Todd, Chair, Library Publishing SIG Program Committee, Athens 2019.
Complete accepted presentations should be an original submission not published elsewhere, be written and English. Complete accepted presentations to be submitted as a pdf attachment by 1 June 2019. Note that while a full paper is not necessary for this open session it is strongly preferred.
A maximum of 8 minutes will be allotted for the presentation. It is strongly recommended that the presentation is supported by a visual element such as PowerPoint, Prezi, or other presentation software.
29 March 2019 Proposal abstracts due
15 April 2019 Acceptance notices sent to authors
7 June 2019 Completed presentations submitted
At least one of the paper’s authors must be present to deliver a summary of the paper during the program in Athens. Abstracts should only be submitted with the understanding that the expenses of attending the conference will be the responsibility of the author(s)/presenter(s) of accepted papers.
Authors of accepted papers must complete the IFLA Authors’ Permission Form.
All expenses, including registration for the conference, travel, accommodation etc., are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation letter can be issued to author(s)/presenter(s) of accepted papers.
Congress Participation Grants
List of opportunities for support is available on the Conference Participation Grants webpage.