Call for Papers — Open Sessions
Library Buildings and Equipment Section
- 20 December 2018, 22:02
Theme: "Augmenting Reality: Technology and Equipment and their impact on Library Design"
IFLA’s Library Buildings and Equipment Section invites you to submit a proposal for its programme at the 85th IFLA World Library and Information Congress 2019 in Athens, Greece: Libraries: Dialog for Change.
Libraries use technology and equipment in creative ways to enhance the user experience, foster experimentation and innovation, create operational efficiencies, provide inclusive services and spaces, bridge any gap between the physical and digital, support effective service delivery, and more. This programme examines current and future roles of technology and equipment in positioning libraries to offer enhanced services, promoting change within their communities, the profession and society at large, and how these roles impact the built environment.
Not all technological innovations or new equipment need be high tech or expensive. The programme seeks to stimulate ideas about new uses of older technologies and to examine methods and opportunities for using low and high-tech equipment to meet all budgets. The programme focuses on the impact of technology and equipment on library design and planning.
The section is seeking thoughtful, inspiring, high-quality papers that explore:
- Visionary approaches and innovative developments to library equipment and service projects;
- The intersection of emerging technology and equipment, and library buildings;
- Technologies that bridge physical and digital to expand service offerings or enhance the user experience;
- Technology on a limited budget (i.e., innovation on a shoestring);
- Use of virtual or augmented reality to expand service offerings;
- Ways that technology makes the design process, buildings, and/or services more equitable or inclusive;
- Technologies that impact operational efficiencies, staffing models, staff productivity, health and wellness;
- Sustainable technologies and equipment;
- Smart tools and equipment to update libraries as learning places.
The session format will include a keynote. Proposals for panel discussions, demonstrations with hands-on opportunities for audience members or talks using the Lightning format (20 slides are shown for 20 seconds each, making a total of 6 minutes 40 seconds) are encouraged. Presentations using the traditional 15-minute presentation format are also welcome. A mix of presentation styles keeps the Open Session vibrant and exciting. Visual imagery in the presentations is vitally important and must be of high enough resolution to be projected clearly on a large screen.
Proposal abstracts must be submitted by: 15 February 2019
Selected presenters will be notified by: 31 March 2019
Written papers due: 15 June 2019
Presentation slides due: 1 August 2019
Proposals must be in English and include the following information:
- Title of proposed presentation.
- Style of presentation (Panel, Hands-on, Lightning Talk or 15-minute).
- Abstract of the proposed paper (no more than 300 words).
- Language of presentation.
- Name(s) of presenter(s) plus position/s and/or title/s.
- Employer/affiliated institution.
- Contact information including email address, telephone number.
- Short biographical statement of presenter(s) (no more than 100 words).
- Indicate willingness to comply with IFLA’s Author Permission requirements
All proposals must be received by 15 February 2019.
Please submit proposal abstracts to:
The contact person for each proposal will be informed by 31 March 2019 of proposal acceptance. Authors of accepted proposals will be required to submit the complete text of papers for inclusion in the programme by 15 June 2019. Papers must be written in one of IFLA’s seven official languages and be no longer than 4,000 words.
Authors of accepted papers must complete the IFLA Authors’ Permission Form.
At least one of the paper’s authors must be present to deliver the paper during the Congress programme in Athens, Greece. Presentations of papers during the Congress are expected to be supported by visual presentations.
All expenses, including registration for the conference, travel, accommodation etc., are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation letter can be issued to author(s)/presenter(s) of accepted papers.
Congress Participation Grants
List of opportunities for support is available on the Conference Participation Grants webpage.