Call for Papers — Open Sessions
Environment, Sustainability and Libraries Special Interest Group
- 14 January 2019, 15:50
Theme: "Let’s Change Now: Libraries Driving Sustainability"
Environment, Sustainability and Libraries Special Interest Group (ENSULIB) invites LIS professionals and students to submit proposals for its two-hour open session at the IFLA Congress in Athens on the theme “Let’s Change Now: Libraries Driving Sustainability”.
We invite presentations (papers) or Pecha Kuchas that address any one or more of the following topics related to sustainability:
- Environmental, social or economic sustainability
- Libraries giving possibilities for users and citizens to create their own sustainable projects (user or citizen engagement)
- Sustainable library and LIS projects, library programs or educational programs.
To keep the session vibrant and exciting two alternative styles of presentations are accepted: a presentation (15 minutes delivery) or the PechaKucha format (20 slides are shown for 20 seconds each for a total of 6 minutes 40 seconds). The program committee is interested in proposals on projects relating sustainability and new sustainable projects in all kinds of libraries and LIS schools.
Proposals must be submitted by 15 February 2019 and selected presenters will be notified by 30 March 2019.
Proposals should be sent to:
Harri Sahavirta, Convenor, Environment, Sustainability and Libraries Special Interest Group
Proposals must include:
- Title of the presentation or PechaKucha (clearly indicated which one)
- Abstract of no more than 400 words.
- Author(s) name, professional affiliation, postal address, email address
- A brief biographical statement of no more than 150 words.
- All proposals and presentations will be required to be in English.
- The planning team reserves the right to ask applicants to make small adjustments to the shape or content of their papers to support the needs of the program.
All proposals must be received by 15 February 2019.
Requirements for speakers and final papers:
- Final papers should be a maximum of 4000 words in length and the presentation time is 20 minutes with discussion (15 min + 5 min)
- Final PechaKucha should be a maximum of 20 slides and the presentation time is 6 minutes 40 seconds.
- Papers should be original submissions (not published elsewhere)
- Papers must be submitted as formal papers for inclusion on the IFLA conference website by 30 May 2019
- Papers should be submitted with a one-page abstract in English, although the final paper may be written in any of IFLA’s official languages. All the presentations in the IFLA WLIC 2019 conference are to be given in English since no translation is available.
- All papers that are presented at the WLIC 2019 will be made available online via the IFLA Library under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license
- Authors of accepted papers must complete the IFLA Authors’ Permission Form
- At least one of the paper’s authors must be present to deliver a summary of the paper during the program in Athens, Greece. Abstracts should only be submitted with the understanding that the expenses of attending the conference will be the responsibility of the author(s)/presenter(s) of accepted papers.
Deadline for submission of abstract: 15 February 2019
Notification of acceptance/rejection: 30 March 2019
Deadline for submission of full paper: 30 May 2019
All expenses, including registration for the conference, travel, accommodation etc., are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation letter can be issued to authors.
Congress Participation Grants
List of opportunities for support is available on the Conference Participation Grants webpage.